(Washington, D.C.) — As the Administration puts forward new steps to curb the rising opioid epidemic, the Pharmaceutical Care Management Association (PCMA) is offering policy solutions to leverage the ability of pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs), providers, and others to address this crisis.
“PBMs have offered concrete solutions and stand ready to help the Administration in its fight against this epidemic,” said PCMA President and CEO Mark Merritt.
PCMA recently proposed the following solutions to the Administration (click here for the letter):
- Seven-Day Opioid Prescription Limits for Acute Pain
- Require E-prescribing (e-Rx) for Controlled Substances
- Improve and Integrate State Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs (PDMPs)
- Give Part D Plans More Tools to Fight Pharmacy Opioid Fraud
- Timely and Flexible Implementation of the Lock-In Provision of the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act (CARA)