The Pharmaceutical Care Management Association (PCMA) has outlined solutions that would help assure people receive opioid prescriptions only when medically appropriate.
Click here for the letter.
These common-sense measures include:
- Endorse the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC’s) Guideline for Opioid Prescribing
- Require E-prescribing (e-Rx) for Controlled Substances
- Seven-Day Opioid Prescription Limits for Acute Pain
- Improve and Integrate State Prescription Drug Management Programs (PDMPs) and Require Prescribers to Check PDMPs
- Give Part D Plans More Tools to Fight Pharmacy Opioid Fraud
- Achieve Timely and Flexible Implementation of the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act (CARA) Lock-In